NASSCO's success as the largest manufacturing employer in San Diego has been built on the hard work and sacrifice of generations of shipbuilders. We continue this tradition through support of various non-profit organizations and 501(c)(6) business leagues in the San Diego area.
A core set of themes and criteria guides NASSCO's activities. We place greater value on programs that: advance opportunities in math, science, technology education and skilled trades; improve community vitality, social welfare and sustainability, especially in the Barrio Logan community of San Diego; create innovative social solutions, especially in partnership with our Navy customer; leverage the capacity and value of NASSCO's expertise, leadership and employee involvement.
For more information on our charitable giving program, or to request an application for funds, please continue reading below.
The Communications Department will review the incoming and outgoing charitable contribution requests and will communicate directly with the requesters and coordinate any follow up documentation, and/or collateral activities such as ads, tickets, invitations, etc., as well as a declination letter if appropriate.
Depending on the type of donation (charitable contributions, in-kind services, and/or company volunteer support); NASSCO will determine the amount in capital, service, volunteer time or product, and the level of support in accordance with the terms of this policy.
NASSCO receives an ample number of requests for donations each year, many more than it can support. A decision to decline a request does not imply that the applicant's program is not needed or valued, but simply that it does not fall within our charitable contribution guidelines or priorities.
All incoming and outgoing requests for charitable contributions, in-kind services and/or company volunteer support, must be made in writing via the electronic submissions form, and will be coordinated and administered by the Communications Department. Individual employees may not respond to requests from other individuals or organizations.
- Only 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations and 501(c)(6) business leagues will be considered for charitable contributions, volunteer support, or in-kind donations.
- Agencies or organizations must provide a copy of their 501(c) and tax identification number.
- All corporate charitable contributions, volunteer support, or in-kind donations, will promote NASSCO's business goals, create positive visibility, and demonstrate social responsibility.
- The major focus of NASSCO's charitable contributions efforts will be on programs designed to advance opportunities in math, science, technology education and skilled trades; improve community vitality, social welfare and sustainability, especially in the Barrio Logan community of San Diego; create innovative social solutions, especially in partnership with our Navy customer; leverage the capacity and value of NASSCO's expertise, leadership and employee involvement. Contributions will be coordinated with employee volunteer activities when possible to achieve a maximum impact in the community within budget guidelines.
- Programs or activities that explicitly address issues that enhance the education of STEM of children and teens in communities served by the company.
- Requests to support health-related issues, environmental and civic initiatives will also be considered if these support corporate business goals and meet contribution guidelines.
- NASSCO gives added weight to charities that have received its prior and local support, organizations such as educational institutions that may benefit its employees and their families, and causes that reinforce the health and safety of the employees, their family members and the community.
NASSCO will not support:
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability with respect to employment, volunteer participation, or the provision of services.
- Requests from religious organizations for sectarian purposes will not be considered, however, a community program sponsored by a religious organization will be considered.
- Requests from all local, regional, and/or school-based sport teams will not be considered.
- Requests that solicit financial support for individuals, political candidates, and political campaigns, or entities that are not nonprofit organizations, will not be considered.
- Requests for school trips or athletic or recreational tours.
- Requests for the use of NASSCO's property for outside fundraising efforts.
Organizations seeking funding are required to complete the following steps.
- Complete and submit the electronic submissions form.
- The Communications Department will only consider completed applications that directly address the stated focus of NASSCO's charitable giving guidelines.
- All applications/requests will be logged as they are received and will be reviewed for eligibility.
Charitable contributions are donations from NASSCO to nonprofit organizations with IRS 501(c)(3) status. These contributions can be used for any purposes within the stated priorities by this policy.
In-Kind donations of equipment, facilities, technical resources and volunteers are made when possible. All requests for in-kind contributions will depend on material resources and manpower availability.