Security and Access Procedures
Government security requirements and export regulations require NASSCO to enforce strict access control procedures for all employees and visitors to our facility. All visitors to NASSCO’s facilities, including customers, contractors, suppliers, vendors, and temporary employees, must comply with the following procedures:
- Each visiting organization or individual must submit to NASSCO's Security
Office a visit letter on NASSCO's Visitor Authorization Letter
(VAL) form prior to arrival. The VAL must specify the purpose of the
visit, the locations to be accessed, the duration of the requested visit, and
the appropriate contact person at NASSCO. In addition, the letter must include
the following information on each employee:
- Name - Last, First and Middle
- Last Four Digits of Social Security Account Number
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth - must include city, and state or country
- Document Number, if born outside of the USA
- If the employee is a Naturalized U.S. citizen, the document number must be included.
- If the employee is a non-U.S. citizen, the country of
citizenship must be listed with an indication of temporary or permanent alien
status. The alien registration number must also be included.
USA, Naturalized or Mexico
Naturalization Certificate Number or Permanent Resident A#01234567
- Acknowledgement of completion of a background check and drug screening regarding each employee, accompanied by a copy of the background check results (if not designated a NASSCO “Trusted Contractor”). A background check encompasses a criminal check (Federal and State) and credit check (when applicable).
- Revolving Door check acknowledgement
- Birth Certificate. Birth certificates must contain the raised, impressed, or multicolor seal of the registrar's office. All documents submitted to your company as evidence of birth in the U.S. must be original or certified documents.
- Certificate of Naturalization
If citizenship was acquired by birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, the following is acceptable evidence:
- Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (form FS-240)
- Certificate of Birth (Form FS-545 or DS-1350)
- U.S. Passport or Passport Card (current or expired)
- Record of Military Processing - Armed Forces of the United States (DD Form 1966), provided it reflects U.S. citizenship.
Foreign Nationals claiming to be permanent residents of the United States must have their status verified by examining the following document:
- Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551.
Each VAL (or VAL plus accompanying cover letter) sent to NASSCO containing updates, additions, deletions and/or revisions to personnel lists must be signed by a representative of the subcontracting company certifying all changes.
VALs may be e-mailed to the attention of NASSCO’s Security Administration Department at the following address:
VALs may be faxed to (619) 544-8599.
VALs may be mailed or delivered to:
General Dynamics - NASSCO
2798 East Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92113
Supplier Qualification Matrix
Rev 5 - Jan 2014
|Document||Description||Typical Supplier Type|
|Tier 1 Qualification|
Guidance on Safety Qualifications for Each Tier
To be provided by ALL Suppliers
Tier 2 Qualification
Basic requirements for transiting the facility.
Required for all Tier 2 Suppliers or Subcontractors ENTERING NASSCO facilities. Tier 2 suppliers are those under NASSCO contract who perform the following:
Signatory document acknowledging Tier 2 Safety Compliance
Tier 3 Qualification
Required for all Tier 3 Suppliers or Subcontractors ENTERING NASSCO facilities. Tier 3 suppliers are those under NASSCO contract who perform the following:
Detailed Survey of Safety and Health Management Practices and Past Performance
Disclosure of Chemical Products used by Contractor in Shipyard
It is your company’s responsibility to know and comply with the safety requirements of each job, including work specifications, applicable NAVSEA Standard Items, Federal OSHA and Cal-OSHA standards, and other relevant standards. Your company is responsible for providing the necessary training to ensure that your employees adhere to the applicable requirements while working at NASSCO facilities.
Your company’s safety plan may be e-mailed to NASSCO’s Safety Department at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed or delivered to:
General Dynamics – NASSCO Safety Department
M/S 27 2798 East Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92113
Option 1 (your company already has a customized letterhead template in MS Word Format):
- Verify by opening MS Word, and click on “File”, “New”,
- “Copy” logo or letterhead from MS Word and “Paste” into the MS Excel Visit Request Form
Option 2 (your company logo is in a picture format, .jpg or .gif):
- “Copy” and “Paste” the image into MS Word,
- “Copy” from MS Word “Paste Special” into
the MS Excel Visit Request Form.
*Select “MS Word Document Object” or any option ending with the word “Object”
Your compliance with these requirements is appreciated. If you have any questions, please call NASSCO’s Security Department at (619) 544-3616 or (619) 544-8555.